FALCON SPEECH and DEBATE
Welcome from Mrs. Thomas
Dear Parents and Team Members,
I am so excited to be joining the Falcon Speech and Debate program as your new coach. I would first like to take the opportunity to acknowledge and thank your former Director/Coach, Ms. McGraw, she has built an incredible Speech and Debate program here and I am so fortunate to be able to follow in her footsteps.
I am happy to see returning varsity members and to welcome a whole new group of students who will be joining our team this year as novice members. As we start this year, here’s how our 62 member team looks:
- We have 26 novice team members
- We have 9 first year varsity team members
- We have 27 second and third year varsity team members
Additionally we have classes of Debate 1 Honors students from Walter C. Young taking classes here at Flanagan and who will make up our Young Falcon Flyers Team.
We have wonderful travel tournament options this year, so be sure to check the “Activities and Tournaments Calendar” to see what there is to offer.
Now, for a few important upcoming dates and details that require your attention:
- Friday, 9/1/19 – Fun with Forensics will be held in the Media Center from 2:45 – 5:00 for all high school novices to come out and meet the varsity squad.
- Thursday, 9/7/19 – Fall Parent Meeting and Showcase will be held in the Media Center from 6:30-8:30 pm.
- It is an expectation that every student bring a parent or adult family member to this important meeting
To Do Items:
- Sign up on the team and parent rosters under the “Team Roster” page at the top.
- Print out the Annual Parent Teacher Permission Form and BCDI Local Calendar on the “Student Forms” page
- Parents sign both (Notary Not Required)
- Students get all other signatures then turn in by 9/8/19
- Parents sign up for Level 1 Clearance at browardschools.com/volunteer
I look forward to seeing all of you on Thursday, 9/7 where you will see what it is we do here and the parent boosters and varsity team members will be with me to answer all of your questions. Here’s to a great year ahead!